To add an Event via the “Manage Events” page:
1. Log in to your website using your branch’s credentials. (The login screen is [your domain]/wp-login.php). You will be taken to the Dashboard.
2. Click on the Home icon in the black bar at the top of the screen. This will take you to the Homepage.
3. Go to the “Manage Events” page.
4. Click “Add New” . The “Add Event” page will open.
5. Event Name: Add the title of the lecture.
6. When: Fill in the date of the lecture in both the “From” and “To” fields.
Select the start time of the lecture under “Event starts at”. Optional: you can also include the end time of the lecture under “to” if you wish. (If you leave the start time in both fields then only the start time will appear on the event.)
7. Where: the name and address of the lecture venue should be entered here.
(a) Location Name: Enter the name of the event venue. NB:
- If there is more than one venue with that name, include the suburb as well, e.g. “Christian Science Reading Room, Toowoomba”.
- If the location has already been added it will appear when you start typing the name. Select it from the list. The other fields will auto-fill.
(b) If you are adding a new location, fill in the address fields. (Ignore the “Region” field.)
8. Details: Enter the text you would like to appear on the Event. (The first 22 words will also appear as an excerpt on the Homepage.)
If you wish to include a link to a flyer:
(a) Click “Add Media” , then click “Upload Files” .
(b) Upload your flyer in PDF format (low resolution for web). Click “Insert into page” and a link to the flyer will appear.
9. Speaker: Fill in the lecturer’s name.
10. Name of sponsoring branch*: Fill in the name of your branch church or society.
Contact phone number*: Fill in the contact phone number for this event.
Contact email*: Fill in the church’s email address.
*These details will appear at the bottom of the event and also on emails to people who have booked a seat.
11. Category: Select “Lectures”.
12. Event image: this is the lecturer’s image. It must be 300 pixels wide to upload and display correctly.
(a) Download the lecturer’s snapshot from christianscience.com/additional-resources/meet-the-lecturers.
(b) Open the website resizeimage.net. Go to the tutorial Resizing an image and follow steps 1&2, then skip to step 6 of the instructions (step 4 on resizeimage.net) and enter the desired width as “300”. Follow the rest of the steps to download your image in the required dimensions.
(c) Go back to the “Add Event” page and click “Browse”. Go to your downloads folder, click on the resized image, then click “Open” .
13. Bookings/Registration: this is if you wish to receive bookings for your event.
(a) Tick the box next to “Enable registration for this event”. A “Tickets” dropdown will appear showing 10 available booking spaces.
(b) To change the number of booking spaces, click “Edit” , then increase “Spaces” from “10” to the number of available seats at the lecture venue.
(People booking a seat will not see this number, however once you have exceeded the number of spaces, your event will display the message “This event is fully booked.”)
14. Tick the box next to “I consent to my submitted data being collected and stored as outlined by the site”. (This will only be required the first time you submit an event).
15. Click “Submit Event” .
The event will automatically appear on the site. You can edit it at any time – go to the instruction “Edit an Event“.
You will receive an email whenever there is a new booking, and also when a booking is cancelled.